Skip to main content

Personal Reflection - Final Year

As the time to submit our project approaches faster than ever, it feels right to look back yea, at the last several months, yes over the last year of Uni, but also, over the last four years I have spent at Ulster University.  This year was a year of superior unsurity, yet a feeling of excitement and wonder about what the FInal Year journey would be like.  Being in the team I find myself in, was an amazing thing for me.  Never in my four years as an Ulster University student, have I had more confidence in the ability and determination of a group of people to achieve a task wholeheartedly and true.  Lorna, Cassie and Megan?  You guys were the best team I could ask for in my Final Year of University *sniffle sniffle bleh*


Image result for ew gif

Taking on a virtual reality project brought with it many challenges both personally for myself and for us as a team.  For myself, I found the technicalities and new software hard to adapt to.  Having been out of the animation game for a year as I studied abroad, my confidence and abilities within various softwares had liquefied and needed some serious toning up.  Beginning this year meant a huge wake up call that I needed to not only work so that I got a grade and degree out of this, but to be committed and hardworking for my team because I could tell in turn, they would be hardworking for the team.

As a team, we took many risks.  Many of these came in the area of software but we knew we would hit a lot of walls in pursuing the innovative world of immersive space.  For myself, learning how to texture in Substance Painter was a fun and rewarding experience.  I wouldn't say that it has made me an incredible texture artist, but the knowledge of how to apply, format and export textures using that software has been an amazing journey for me.  In addition to that, entering into the core of this project, my history of animation was light and not very...sophisticated.  Being given the largest portion of narrative to animate, for me, was the most daunting thing ever.  The thoughts of how, why, what, where, do I go from here filled my mind as the time to animate grew closer and closer, day by day.  I must say, the challenge of this animating has really shaped my character and software abilities.  In addition to this, my knowledge of the Maya software has truly grown aswell.  I'd like to thank Lorna McFall especially for her help, guidance and compassion in getting alongside me, encouraging me in my work and always checking up to see how I was doing and if I needed help.  It was extremely valuable and appreciated.



Now that the project is done, and we are able to look back at the journey the four of us have been on, all that can be said is that the pitiful arguments, stressful meetings and frustrated spells of ignorance towards each other, was worth it all.  The finished piece is something we could only have imagined at the beginning of this year.  To see it in all it's glory is the sweetest and most rewarding feeling of all.



As this year, and my time as an Ulster University undergrad draw to a close, I am filled with a thankfulness for those who have impacted me during my four years as an animation student.  This year I am especially thankful to Alec Parkin, Brian Coyle and Henri Melki for their guidance and counsel this year as we pushed towards a finished project.  Their help, encouragement and willingness to push us to further heights and levels were so appreciated and monumental.  In addition to this, I want to thank any tutor or student who has played a role in my four years at Ulster.  Through all of the hard work, and procrastination, we made it.

Finally, all that can be said is, UUB Animation?  Thank you, and I hope you continue to inspire future creative minds for years to come.


Image result for cheese

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blocking and Referencing

As we begin blocking out animation and key poses, the following are the scene parts that I will be taking on over the next few weeks to create - AI speaks to YOU GIRL begins to fuss AI speaks to GIRL, hands over drawing paper AI walks away, cleaning tables GIRL draws GIRL speaks to you GIRL throws drawing on ground, is bored, stands up AI goes to get coffee, walks over to the MAN, pours it AI spills on MAN, first glitch MAN freaks, jumping out of chair GIRL laughs AI reassures MAN sits back down GIRL picks up drawing As an inexperienced animator, and as a person who likes to see things come together fast rather that see them in stages.  I struggled with the aspect of blocking animation.  I knew it needed to be done but was frustrated with the time needed to do simply, what I could just do in flu

End of Year Show Layout

It has long been discussed and ignored that we needed to measure and be made aware of what our layout and space allowance is for the End of Year Show.  With this drawing closer and closer, we finally got an answer in regard to our confusion.  Each team will get a designated space and each person will have a board to use to present renders, visuals, concepts and developmental progress images that those attending the EOYS can see. The allowance for equipment for each person is 1 board, 1 table and 1 mac.  We have been told that the dimensions for the boards are 80cm x 120cm and we should plan out what images and size of sections we wish to include on these.  In addition, our space has to facilitate a place for our poster as well as room for a mac to sit on the desk surface to display our showreels. Desk and Board Size Below is the initial plan, we as a team have drafted together to give us an idea of how we want our area to be laid out - Based on this, we each started to p

Prop Animation

Alongside our character animation, there is more to our scene that just an environment and moving characters.  The assets that these characters engage and draw attention to, also play an important part in the overall dynamic and quality of the story.  Assets such as the coffee pot, paper, crayons, clock, cloth and menu are some of the elements of our project that also need to be animated and worked with in partnership with our characters. Within this blog, I will discuss the process of animating these elements and provide playblast videos of what these models look like in action. Firstly, our menu.  The menu has been talked about a lot ever since we have our story line finalised way back in October.  We never really tied down how this object would appear, how it would animate and what features it would have.  Originally, the AI waitress would pull the menu out from behind her back when welcoming us, set it on the table and it would come to life.  After this proved difficult, I